View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 04:37 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

I guess a question I should have asked ......
What should NOT be used in pincushions? and the reasons?

CashsMom ... Funny thing, I have used batting scraps for pin cushions. I don't used them much, so never really cared what was in them. Being that they are now gifts, I was wanting to do it "right"!!

EasyPeezy ... Great video. Gave me some important food for thought before I get into production. More to making pincushions than I ever imagined!! Yes, lanolin, that would be the why for wool. Just didn't remember that part.

SheltiesMama ... No pooch available to harvest! Why would you recommend felting the wool batting when using as stuffing?

MKC ... Thanks for the pattern. Have never had a "heavy" pincushion, but I can see why crushed shells would be advantageous. Honestly, I seldom use a pincushions, with magnets as my choice, so I know the benefit of weight.

Watson ... Never even though of an LQS. Already have priced it in a pet store. Even asked our local one if she ever breaks a bag, please let me know. No wonder LQS' sell them, as I will have a lifetime supply, when I get mine!

OneByOne ... Now you have brought back memories! Had forgotten that my Mom filled her pincushions with sawdust. Yet, I wonder why? It seems that sticking pins and needles into "wood" would only dull them. Do you know the reason? Or was it just frugality at the time? I can remember her taking her pincushions apart and announcing the # of needles that were buried in them. Yes, the quality would have been so much better than today's. Something new now for me to be on alert when antiquing or at garage sales.

Any other thoughts, please keep them coming!