View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 03:01 AM
Rae-Rae

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I may have shared with you that my mother chose to sell her 3-story home on a lake to move in with my sister this year. The main reason I went to Georgia was to help with the move and put the house on the market. I’m pleased to share that her home sold this week…And it is a cash sale….even better…Anywhoo…I got side-tracked with excitement. So, her foyer was decorated in Amish decor…she is originally from Pennsylvania and loved this abt her home state…Over 40 years of cross-stitch graced her walls and it was a sad day for her when the pictures were removed and (she thought) packed away…but, really, sisters shipped them to me so I could make a memory quilt for her.

I designed this quilt on EQ8 and used the typical Amish colors of solids…including Amish Black….then, since I wanted this to be a Mom & Me quilt, I included applique blocks. All the applique is turned-edge and machine sewn…(She’ll love the Amish girl and the pineapple…lol). The little barn quilt on the top left block that looks like a barn is the Pennsylvania quilt block. I wanted this to be asymmetrical since the cross-stitch would be in varying sizes and I didn’t want to just frame them. It was really a fun quilt to design and make…I teared up a lot as I worked on it when I would see the year she had embroidered on each one. I have other non-Amish cross-stitches from her home that I will be making pillows for her to gift to her grandkids or whoever if she wants. The backing and binding will be the same border fabric and I am have quilter quilt a basket weave/swirl pattern.

Even though this new chapter of her life is exciting and I’m thrilled for her, I am very sad as we face the reality. On a positive note….she is super healthy and of sound mind so still tons of memories to come.

So, enjoy memory lane of my mother….
I love it, you did a wonderful job on it. Your Mother will love it and appreciate all the hard work that went into.