View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 12:19 PM
Iceblossom

Default Cutting Large and Trimming Down

I was asked for some clarification on this concept and realized that I am self-taught and don't know if there are books or videos or people that specialize in teaching others. Maybe some of you know some resources. Maybe some of you are resources and can add some tips.

While a lot of what I do now turns out to be vision adaptive, it actually started out as more accuracy faster, easier, and ultimately more fun even with the extra steps.

Short form (for me anyway) is that not all geometric shapes are the same -- but squares and right triangles are generally pretty easy to work with. Mostly I just cut each piece about 1/4" larger than directions/block diagram might call for -- it is important to keep in mind that (2) 1/4" = 1/2 total extra which is plenty extra. I already pressed each step and was checking my subunits for quality control when I decided to go large. I typically cut from strips or scraps and I'm not really wasting much fabric in the long run, not more than one extra strip or so per project.

Basic theory: I can cut down, but I can't cut up.

Goose units are a great time for this. I could trim off wonky corners but I couldn't make up shortages, and since I was already handling and trimming the units, why not make it worth the trim??

Here's my latest Goose units showing the made and pre-trimmed with the positioning template. If you are like me, don't use it for cutting! Line up the ruler next to it, remove the plastic and trim away.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6116.jpg