View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Debbie Murry

Ok everybody, here's my 2 cents worth. When you give a quilt as a gift it's theirs to use as they wish. If you're worried about how they will handle it then maybe you shouldn't be giving them the quilt in the first place. Be more selective who you give your cherished quilts to. My grandmother gave me a logcabin quilt on my wedding day 35 years ago. She gave all her children (9) a wedding day quilt as well as her grandchildren (25). And I don't know how many great grandchildren she had, I've lost count. I still have mine. It's worn and a little beat up but I still have it. It's packed away now I had to retire it before it completly died. I've used it for everything over the years. All the things that ya'll have been discribing from covering the couch, laid on the ground for protection from the beach, sunbathing in the backyard and Hubby used it to lay on while working under the car. It's been used to wrap furniture when we moved. We had a litter of kittens on it. Someone droped a cigarette on it once and burned it about a quarter size. It's been repatched many times and washed maybe hundred, maybe more. I loved that quilt and I loved my grandmother and I know that she was happy to know that her quilt was being loved and used. That's what it was intended for. If you have to put a price on a quilt to make it it's worth then it's not a quilt but a piece of art, so put the thing behind glass and hang it on the wall so all you can do is look at it.