View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 04:16 AM
Heathermom2opmc

I am not sure what experience you have with piping, but I reupholster furniture (have done this for over 20 years and just recently tried quilting). Nearly every project I uses piping. A couple of things to keep in mind. When making piping, especially on a lighter weight project like a quilt you will most definitely want to cut your strips on the bias. Corners are easily dealt with by either 1 snip and a 90 degree turn of the piping or curving it with many easing cuts on the extra fabric you sew on. If you are buying it, then I would make sure it is on the more flexible side. I also would ask, how many layers can your sewing machine stitch through. Your description indicates top, batting, backing and then 2 layers for the batting. That is assuming no seams in the flimsy that you would need to sew through. Some sewing machines would have trouble with all this bulk. I always sew my piping on using a zipper foot. This was how I was taught and it works for me. You can get nice and close to the piping using this foot. While a piping foot (they have another name that is escaping my brain at the moment), can work, many projects I do vary in thickness, so a zipper foot works best for me. Lastly I would caution you with pre-made rope piping. It can untwist upon many washings. I had this happen on a pillow cover I made for a client. Just my 2 cents on the topic. Good luck let us know what you decide to do. Nothing ventured nothing gained right!!