View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 08:09 AM
sewingpup

I always use a fairly small stitch (1.8) when doing small squares and pressing and nesting the seams is really important. I have learned about making small squares from doing the Bonnie Hunter mysteries and look at them as an opportunity to improve my piecing, pressing, and general quilting. The hint she provides during the mystery's are very helpful on everything from cutting out the fabric, to pressing, to nesting the seams, and keeping everything organized. Yeppers, Bonnie's mysteries end up being a bit on the heavy side because of all the seams. Early on, I decided not every point would be perfect nor every seam perfectly lined up and that I would focus on doing my best and the most amazing thing has happened. Now most of my points are decent and most of my seams actually meet and the finished quilt is pretty close to the size it is supposed to be. I do sometimes quilt the bonnie quilts denser because I want to make sure all the seams are nailed down....I usually just follow her color scheme so I can concentrate on the piecing skills. Oh, and some of my machines are really better at piecing small pieces then others. I use a straight stitch plate always when piecing and I will switch to my walking foot for attaching long rows, borders, binding as that helps feed the fabric more smoothly on top and bottom.