View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 12:57 PM
NZquilter

Originally Posted by FoggyButFocused View Post
How exciting! It will be great to share your love of sewing as the years pass.

I like the idea of practicing with the unthreaded needle with lines on the paper to help with speed and accuracy, but if it were my kid, boredom would quickly ensue. This might be a good chance to use up those scraps for a crazy quilt. Just let her sew strips or squares together until they make a 11" square and then trim to 10.5. If she makes a mistake or the edges get wonky, just lop them off and have her try again. I did this with my adult daughters and it was a lot of fun. Since I had an end size in mind, I wasn't too worried about an accurate seam. I sewed them all together and made a lap quilt, which I love.

I think if you focus on fun and not accuracy, you'll have a life long sewing partner!
I hadn't thought of a crazy quilt idea! What a brainwave! I think I'll try this. My daughter is very independent and creative and I don't want to rein her in, so to speak. Yes, my goal is to have a lifelong sewing partner! I have four daughters and I dream of family sewing weekends in the future. 😊