View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 01:09 PM
NZquilter

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I started sewing when I was 5. Mom would give me scraps from the clothes she was making and tell me to sew them together. It looked like a mess of random strings of different sizes, but once I’d made two (she’d tell me when to start a new one) she’d help me cut them into squares for a potholder. We’d sandwich that with leftover flannel and turn it inside-out and I’d have to close the opening with hand stitching. That gently taught me how to use the machine, how to cut fabric and how to hand-stitch. I was so proud of those potholders and mom always made sure she used them when I was around.

After that, she got a simple shorts pattern - that taught me to stay in the seam allowance, hemming, simple curves, cutting curves and inserting elastic. Then it was on to a simple shirt (no collar) to teach collars and buttonholes and how to sew on buttons. Then a stuffed animal to teach accuracy.

Best lessons ever. Still vividly remember all of them! I never felt bored, but was always doing something simple to learn a new technique. By the time I was in the 7th grade I was making my own winter coats!

Make it fun, make it simple, and make things that will be enjoyed or worn. Good luck - you’re passing it on to a new generation!
It warms my heart to hear that you have such wonderful memories sewing with your mother, cindi! I hope that I can give similar memories to my children.