View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 06:47 AM
OurWorkbench

Default August 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 6

Leon

Leon, our member at large from Kansas, sent us some details of what he has been working on, along with several pictures. In his words:

Iris used her ( ugh) modern Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 a lot this month. She reupholstered a couch and a Morris chair. Her machine balked partially through the project so I got out my oil can and gave it some help. When she was done she said , "I think it is time for a serious clean and lube. It certainly reminded me why I love vintage machines. it is only 4 years old, but as I was trying to strip it of plastic, I was worried about breaking latches that I couldn't see or about stressing electrical connections all through it. It took me 15 minutes to get the faceplate off and it only had one screw. Nasty thing. I went to separate the sides undid screws, popped out latches and had it almost free. Under a screwed on access plate over the tensioner that was one last screw way under it. And all that had to be done just to access the belt. The machine needed love, but I was seething. Cleaning took forever because she had used it a lot, but I kept finding 3/8" pieces of thread. Oh yea. This has the marvelous cut your thread feature that dumps it into the body of the machine to drift with time and tide. This is a reason I rarely will touch plastic machines and would certainly not do it for profit. Anyway, some pics of the machine and it's innards.

leon-quantum-stylus-intact.jpg

leon-quantum-under-bobbin-plate.jpg

leon-quantum-hidden-screw-under-tension-assembly-taking-front-off.jpg

Today Iris had cataract surgery (She did well) and I was left unattended. A garage sale was close. I behaved myself and didn't buy any of the 3 Singer 66s. Though the one in the rectangle case had appeal for the case and the spoked wheel.

leon-vsm-emporia-garage-sale-66-rectangle-case.jpg

... to be continued