Old 08-16-2021, 07:28 AM
comma

Default Some newbie questions about vintage Singer machines

I've never really used a sewing machine before and really want to learn, and I want to learn on a vintage Singer.

My plan is to get one in running condition and try to learn as I go with servicing it, cleaning it up, etc. Looking at fully restored ones but also ok getting one that just runs and teaching myself how to service and change parts.

After some research I think I've narrowed it down to either the 66, 201-2 or 99. I just want a basic, straight stitch machine. Ideally one that can sew denim and canvas well.

A few questions:

1. As a beginner, should I avoid machines with belts and definitely go with the 201?

2. For some of these machines, the model tag on them will read with a dash after it (201- for example). Does that just mean it's a regular 201 or does the dash denote some kind of model?

3. Can/should vintage power cords be plugged into a surge protector or is it safer to test in a regular grounded outlet?

4. Can all of these Singer machines technically be used without a base? I see quite a few without a base and when pricing them I'm just curious if buying a base is absolutely necessary.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go, but I really appreciate any input as I get started.