Old 08-16-2021, 10:14 AM
comma

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
What do want to sew? I see that you have chosen all horizontal bobbin machines and was curious as to why. Those are all good straight stitch machines. The 66 & 201 are full size machines, whereas the 99 is what is considered 3/4 sized.

1. The ones with belts are fine for a beginner.
2. I don't know why there isn't a number after the dash, other than that the basic tag could be made and then depending on whether the customer wanted to have the so-called sub model as to whether it was a hand crank, treadle or belted motor. The 201-2 is the machine with a potted motor. There were 201s that could be treadled, hand cranked or had a belted motor.
3. I'm not sure, but I would suggest a surge protector - After checking the condition of the cord and replacing if necessary. Some will rewire no matter what.
4. No not all machines can be used without a base, as it will interfere with under workings of the machine. Depending on what you want to sew, a cabinet or table would be preferred. A base or case will sit up above the surface it is on and sometimes have a tendency to scoot ( or at least the modern machines do). Also a flat surface that is even with the bed is preferred to minimize the drag on the fabric through the machine.

I see Leon has posted, before I finished. I agree with him.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Really just starting out, so basic stuff to being with, but eventually would like to be able to sew some simple denim and canvas projects.

Thanks so much! Really great info