View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 01:27 AM
Railroadersbrat

I am in the middle of struggling with this very situation. I recently tackled a Roundabout quilt, I thought given my background I would be able to do it without a problem. Unfortunately, it didn't come together properly and I ended up ripping 56 blocks apart, trimming them up, and sewing them back together.

I just finished piecing it before this past weekend, I still have to put the borders on and then I can call it completed, but I had to step away from it for a while. This was a quilt I should have had done in no time, but I let a little bit of ego come through, used a brand new machine, and didn't check my quarter-inch seam. Had I used my old girl, I wouldn't have had an issue but I thought I'd be okay with the new one. Obviously, I wasn't.

When I finished piecing it, I threw it on our bed and my fiance ranted and raved about it, even though there are still a ton of mistakes, mainly seams not matching. But then I looked at it and realized all the mistakes seem to fade away when I was looking at the overall quilt and not the blocks with mistakes.

I'm spending the next week or so getting a hand-sewn GFG going, my long-term project, and not going to think about the Roundabout. If I get a few moments and need a break, I'll tackle the borders, but not a moment sooner. Honestly, there hasn't been another quilter that I know that hasn't run into this kind of problem before, and trust me, I questioned if I should even be quilting in the first place. As much as the Roundabout hit me, I'm not perfect and I love to quilt. It may have made me step back and think about things, but challenges will come up, no matter if every seam in the quilts before were perfect. I like to problem-solve my quilts and learn from them because the next quilt will be even better than the last, because of those mistakes.

I'm also a major glutton for punishment. I have at least four more quilts that are ready to go and one of them is another Roundabout. I pushed that one to the very end of the line, I was going to tackle it next but I'm not that crazy, lol.