View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 07:55 AM
Iceblossom

First off, welcome to the boards and grats on having a sewing space!

I complain a lot about having a small house and a small space, but at least I now have a space. I remember the decades of setting up on the dining room table. I've been going through my things and decided to downsize, I've gone from a room full of fabric, to lol maybe half a room of better organized stuff. Goal is that eventually all the fabric fits in the closet but I think I'm still a few boxes away from that. Still... if you saw where I started, you might be impressed or you could think "she still has too much fabric".

But, yes, I have to do what I call "make ready" that's one of the terms factories and such use when they put a different product on the line, another one is "change over". I pretty much have to choose whether I'm going to be quilting for the near future or piecing. Usually my decision has been piecing, but in the last couple of months I've been doing things to improve my ability to quilt down. As with most tasks I don't like, I find being efficient helps -- like if you have a designated place for the foam boards to go when you take them off the table top. And I put on music and a set time period, something like "today's task before noon is to spend 30 minutes in the sewing room".

I was all set to get plural tops quilted down -- and then my machine decided it wanted to go on a visit to the shop instead! I'm about halfway through the 6-8 weeks estimated before they could get to it. I have back-up machines for piecing, I'm almost at the end of the current piecing project and I don't want to start another one... mostly because I don't want to do the make ready and then the putting away.