View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 05:23 PM
Gemm

Welcome tanyasharon,

I am using our dining room (closed to visitors due to the pandemic) as my sewing space and that one table is used for pretty much everything except laying out bigger quilts, when I have to move all of the living room furniture to make room on the floor. It can definitely get extremely cluttered and overwhelming.

Iceblossom has hit on a key strategy - having a place to put things when they need to be moved. I'm still on a learning curve with this, but I have a couple of those stacking plastic drawer units where I keep all of my non-fabric "bits" - cutting tools, bobbins, threads, manuals as well as a few trays and bins for the fabric stuff - garbage, crumbs, cut pieces for the current project, random off-cuts. These tend to live on the floor around my sewing machine if they're in use, or get shoved under the table if they're not immediately needed. Rulers and cutting mats ideally get tucked against walls and behind furniture when they need to be off the table. Sadly, the ironing board is still down the hall in the laundry room, butI keep telling myself it's good to get up and stretch when I'm sewing! I do chain piece and finger press where I can.

There is definitely still a time of "making ready" between the major stages of quiltmaking, but having these tools in place means I can actually do a little cutting, a little piecing, and a little layout on the table without going mad. When I'm finally ready to quilt, there is always a big cleanup required, but the earlier stages are somewhat manageable.

I do envy your sewing space. I'm not sure what I will do when we start having people over again! Good luck with your projects .:-)