View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 11:56 AM
stormwater

In the past I have done raw edge machine applique for landscape quilts.

I committed to doing a hand applique quilt for my older daughter's wedding present and she chose Kim Maclean's The Flower Garden, but instead of Kaffe Fassett fabrics, she wanted it in the tones and fabrics of Civil War reproductions. The applique pieces for this quilt were large enough to allow me to use freezer paper and either remove it through a remaining straight edge that I then sewed up or by cutting through the back of the applique and removing the paper. I found that back basting on the outside of curves to gather the excess fabric eliminates the sharp angles that can sometimes form. I'm appliqueing the last border of this quilt.

And for my younger daughter, I committed to doing a Quiltworx Judy Neimeyer double wedding ring pattern (Flowers for my Wedding Quilt) with hand appliqued flowers and vines in the outside border. Because a lot of these pieces were small and/or narrow, I used leave-in-place applique sheets that break down and soften with age/washing. Quilt top is finished, waiting for me to finish her sister's top.

If you're using freezer paper or adhesive in applique, be gentle in removing the paper as too good adhesion can cause the fabric threads to misalign as you remove the paper, messing up the fabric's pattern.