View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
patchythepirate

Norah, I think you made a great point when you said that maybe a person would "value" the quilt more if they knew what it took to make them the quilt in the first place. See, for me it's not just the time, effort, and expense of the gift...and it certainly is not about accolades... but it's also the desire to give someone a gift that they truly VALUE.

You know how hard it is sometimes to shop for the perfect gift for someone like at Christmas or Birthday time? Well, even though it's hard most of us hang in there until we find what we think is just the right thing. The reason I do that is because I want to give a gift to my family member or friend that is truly loved and cared for. To me a quilt is no different. Yes, the joy is in the making and the giving but if the recipient looks at the quilt I give them and thinks it's best use is to rest muddy boots on at the front door then I would rather take 5 minutes and $20.00 down to the Home Depot and buy them a doormat.

Quilts are not for everyone. I understand that not everyone will cherish a thing because it's handmade. That is fine by me. All I'm saying is that I'd rather know ahead of time that someone won't really treasure one of my quilts because it is far quicker, cheaper, and less work to head to the store and buy them a gift than making a quilt for someone who won't care one way or the other.