Thread: Masks
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 05:14 PM
sewingpup

oh, masks. I did read up some on making them...there was an article that I read that had done some testing on the materials to use and good quality quilting cotton is one of the better things to use but you need to use the tighter weave stuff. One article I read actually said to use three layers. Also it is important to make sure it fits good so air is not leaking around the nose or sides. I liked the ones I made where I put pipe cleaners in the seam that goes over the nose. they do get a bit crinkled after a bit but help the nose part fit better and I also made ties out of tee shirt material. Just cut it into about 1 inch wide strips and gave it a pull, made cording that has a little stretch in it and made a casing along each side, so when I tightened the ties, it fit good along the sides too. I did sometimes put a surgical mask under my cloth mask as surgical masks don't always fit very tight. I see lots of folks wearing their masks with their noses showing or their straps not tights or with the exhalation valves that do nothing for others. I think if we had done more training on the proper fit of any mask, it would help. I currently have found some N95 ones that I wear when I know there are going to be more people.....Like when I go to the doctors office. I still am doing curbside pickup whenever I can...just see too many people removing their masks to cough or sneeze or talk or not even wearing one at all. Got leery at the grocery store when no one had a mask on this summer as I know my county is not a 100% vaccinated. Still have plenty of supplies for mask making...but I made a lot last year and stay home a lot so the disposable ones ones work for now. Just wish all folks would take this seriously so we can get over this. I miss going to my guild meetings. Our ICU is just about full here. Yet folks are gathering without masking.

Last edited by sewingpup; 09-04-2021 at 05:18 PM.