Old 09-16-2021, 10:32 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have several depression era cookbooks. It's all basic cooking. It's surprising how many families do not buy basic foods anymore. I overheard two younger ladies talking in the grocery store by the dry beans. One said dry beans were pretty to look at and the other said she had no idea why dry beans were even sold anymore because no one she knows ever buys them, her mother never did.
I know what you mean. It's a processed food world now. I always buy dry beans and soak them overnight or cook them on the stove top until tender. It's really not that hard.

But then a year or so ago, there was a young woman posting on the nextdoor forum for my neighborhood who was in panic because she was running out of baby wipes and didn't know how she was going to keep her baby clean. Someone said "Do you have soap and water and a washcloth?" People think that they have to have a lot of expensive processed foods and premade items. I was raised by a depression era mom and we never bought stuff like that. That was a luxury. We bought whole food and made our own meals and washed with plain soap and water. We were healthy AND clean for minimum money. Its kind of sad that a lot of people don't realize that you can do that and it really doesn't take that much effort.