View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 07:24 AM
bkay

I agree with Ice Blossom. I've given away several sewing machines. In fact, I have one right now that I have offered to the slant needle group on groups.io. I've given away lots of fabric (I thought I had to build a stash when I first started quilting). I've donated fabric to individuals and to organizations.

In my area, the best deals on both fabric and machines are at garage sales and estate sales. I bought a pristine vintage Singer 15-91 at an estate sale for $47.00 (in a perfect cabinet), with all the accessories a couple of months ago. I also have several machines not in cabinets I would donate to a worthy cause.

I know that doesn't answer your question on how to teach "low tech" quilting, but it might give thought to how those people could acquire the fabric and machines if they "take" to quilting.

I had a friend who was a really good quilter. She had all the tools in the world. However, she used a cardboard pattern and scissors to cut out a grandmother's flower garden. She turned and hand basted the edge then sewed them together by hand. She then hand sewed the "flowers" to a block like you would do a Dresden plate. She never finished that quilt, and I have wondered what happened to it. She gifted me her county fair blue ribbon Dresden plate quilt a few years before she passed. Her grandmother taught her to quilt.
bkay