View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 06:18 AM
SuzSLO

Years ago, employees at my office joined together to make baby quilts as gifts to those expecting. Many in the group had never sewn. Many did not have an iron or ironing board. Most did not have a sewing machine. We put together kits for each block and had get togethers at lunchtime where the 3 quilters in the group provided irons and needles and threads. Even after we made 10 or so quilts, only a couple became converts and wanted to learn more about quilting.

I can see the attraction of minimalist quilting for those times in your life when you don’t want to add to your “stuff”. I can also see the attraction of only using recycled clothing or sheets to reduce the impact on the environment.

But I’m not sure it’s “low tech” to shun the use of a sewing machine. The Singer sewing machine was patented in 1851. The first electric sewing machine was patented in 1889 and the first electric iron was patented in 1881. I have a quilt which was hand-pieced and quilted, but when it came time to put on the binding, the “ladies at the church” got out the machine.