View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 07:21 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but if my introductory to quilting was hand stitching, I doubt if I ever would have learned to quilt. I also think that a single stitch machine is all that is really needed for most jobs. Access to cheap machines are plentiful. If transportation is someone's problem, then shopgoodwill.com should do the trick. Also, simple machines are plentiful on that site. I have purchased a few and have had good luck. I also think if your aim is to teach making quilts, it's the fabric that's going to do you in if your on a serious budget. But of course, maybe it's just me. To me, the machine makes it the fun part.
I agree. I never would have continued quilting if I'd had to do it all by hand. I do like hand sewing and usually have an EPP or embroidery project going, but it very slow and laborious. Most newbies don't have the patience to wait for 6 months to see any result.

I also agree that a straight stitch machine is all that's needed for quilting and they're easy to find. I saw a really nice 301 in a cabinet at a garage sale for $125 the other day. She wasn't busy and said she was just looking to get rid of stuff. I probably could have bought that machhine for $75.

Fabric can be had at garage sales. I've never seen it at Goodwill or thrift stores here, but I'm sure some area have it. Watching for sales and coupons is also an option.