View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 05:35 AM
OurWorkbench

Default October 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 1

An air of autumn is falling across Colorado. It's still very nice weather, it is ten to twenty degrees cooler and some leaves are starting to turn. We've had snow in the mountains, but not yet at the lower altitude in Denver.

For our October meeting, we are getting together remotely again. Several people have emailed pictures and notes about what they have been doing, which we are sharing here for each other and for any of our readers who wish to take a look. So let's begin.

James

James has acquired two machines this month and sends the following:

I picked up two sewing machines since the last meeting. The one I am featuring is a very small transverse shuttle machine. It has a boat shuttle with a bobbin inside. Decals are mostly gone but where they were shows cavities that I will try the gold paste rub on to fill the cavities so virtually all of the decals can be restored. The seller could not find any identifying info on the machine but I believe it to be a Remington Family Machine from the early 1870s based on some similar features. The last Patent date on the slide plate is for 1871. It could also be a Remington 2 but I cannot find any photos of what it looked like. The only thing a bit off for the ID is that the bed does not have that raised circle portion for some sort of attachment as seen in some photos of the Remingtons. Later Remingtons like the Remington 3 have a casting on the belt guard that plainly say Remington 3. Machines after that have a different shaped fiddle base. I am including a watch so you can see how small it is!

There is a cherub for the center bed decal. Not sure what it was supposed to be holding. It has an interesting looking front toothed tension. It is the same Remington as the arms company. After the Civil War they branched out into other fields like sewing machines to make up from the decline for demand for weapons.

The needle is a bit bent but whole. I will have to find out what size it uses but it is probably similar to the Singer 12 or most German transverse shuttle machines.

James

james2-image1.jpeg

james2-image2.jpeg

james2-image3.jpg

james2-image4.jpeg

james2-image5.jpeg

... to be continued