View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 12:23 PM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I like the idea of "low-tech quilting."

Lovely things can be made with a relatively low investment for tools and materials.

I feel very overwhelmed when the "necessary list" seems to include - most, if not all, of the following:

A long arm machine - preferably one that can load a king-size quilt
A die cutter for fabric - with all the dies available
The very top of the line computerized sewing sewing machine - or several - for different colors of threads and settings
Quilter's Select rotary cutters- at least one of each size, mats, and rulers (all of them available)
At least a roomful of fabrics, battings, and threads.
A computer, printer, and internet connection to spend time at/on the Quilting Board
A couple of design walls
Enough storage space for all this so items can be located
And adequate working space to spread all this out in to be able to function.

Nothing wrong with having all the goodies - but one can start out "small" -
I sewed for years in a 6' x 8' breakfast nook in our townhouse. You'd be amazed how creative you can get with storage and different areas. I used to do tailoring and made beautiful suits to wear to work, plus some formals and I even started wearable art in this small area without any special tools. I had a basic sewing machine, an iron and a good pair of scissors and that was about it. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and add stuff later.

I'm still not big on one use rulers, don't have a die cutter and do a lot of things the "old way".