View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 08:40 PM
Peckish

When my youngest son was in Boy Scouts (age 11 to 18), he participated in building a haunted house every year. It. Was. So. Awesome! There is a scoutmaster in my neighborhood who turns his entire garage and driveway into a haunted house. He invites a handful of scouts to help: they are responsible for coming up with the concept/theme, then they design it, build all the sets and mazes, program it for light and sound, decorate it, and then on Halloween night they get to be the actors in it. They work on it the entire month of October. The scouts learn basic construction techniques, leadership, working together as a team, and they have the ability to earn their theater merit badge. They usually got 300 to 400 people from the community (it was free to attend) going through every year (pre-Covid). After the haunt closes, the scoutmaster's wife has a giant spaghetti feed prepared, with salad & garlic bread for all the scouts. Everyone takes turns telling their best story about their best scare. My son loved, loved, LOVED it.
I loved it because I felt that by age 13-15, they had kind of outgrown dressing up in costumes and going around asking for candy. It seemed like they'd put the minimum amount of effort into their costumes and were only doing it just to get the candy. The haunted house gave them something more challenging, fun, and age appropriate to do for the entire month.