Thread: Dog DNA update
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 AM
sewingpup

I will stay away from the "designer dogs" for one good reason. Some designer dog breeders put down the pups that don't achieve the "look" of a labradoodle or one of the many other "designer" dog mixes. I met someone with a funny looking dog who told me if had not taken the dog it would have been put down by the breeder as it did not meet the look of the two breed designer dog the breeder was looking for. Good Breeders of purebred dogs put a lot of work and money into their breeding programs to make sure bad genetic traits are not in their breeding lines. The breeder I got my Cairn Terriers from did a lot of genetic testing as there are a few things that can show up in Cairns. She also evaluated the breeding dogs for temperament. When you mix breeds you really don't know what you get....some are healthier....some are not... My breeder also did sell "pet cairns" which were dogs that she chose not to show but sold them already spayed or neutered. Reason, did not want some puppy mill owner breeding dogs that should not be bred or having them live just to produce puppies for sale. Having had mixed breeds and other breeds....I love my cairns...they are my kind of a dog. But Cairns would drive other people nuts as they are a bit independent!

Last edited by sewingpup; 10-14-2021 at 09:05 AM.