Old 10-17-2021, 05:30 AM
Iceblossom

Welcome! Wish I had an easier answer than "wash it and see what happens" but I don't. Even 20 years ago, the photo transfers were washable if they were washable... Use plenty of water, a mild soap and I usually just go warm/cold for the temp.

As Barb said, check for repairs pre-wash. Size is another question for the answer, if this is a baby sized quilt you can wash in a standard home machine. If it is large, you might want to take it to a laundromat and use the extra huge machine. I just finished the hand bindings on two large queen quilts, I design my projects to be washable and wash before I give away so I can fix any problems that spring up. It's today's task to check out my area laundromats (the one I used to use is gone) and see if any of them have two extra large machines so I can do them both at once.

You can also hand wash in the bathtub. Again, use plenty of water and a mild soap that rinses well. You can get in and use your feet or use a plastic laundry basket as sort of an agitator bucket, putting the quilt in it and letting the water go in and out through the holes. You don't want to be picking up that heavy wet quilt by the edges or corners, grab handfuls. If you ever hand wash a quilt, you generally decide you don't want to do that any more