View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 03:27 AM
Heathermom2opmc

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Wow! You are new to quilting? This is stunning. I have never even attempted anything like it.
My father ran a re-upholstering business in the summer to add to his teachers salary in the summers. I was his right hand person and learned re-upholstering from him. My Grandmother (his Mother) taught him. They grew up very poor and she made furniture coverings and drapery from feed sacks. I learned very young to knit, needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery etc, but never tried quilting. When I met my husband (25 years ago) his Grandmother was a quilter. I asked several times about learning, and my Mother in law was very critical and would tell me it took decades to learn to quilt well, and that I should not bother. Well unfortunately I let her negative thoughts cloud my quilting ambitions until Covid. I decided that enough was enough with people telling me what I could and couldn't do and decided to watch a bunch of videos and try it. I don't have any fancy quilting machines--just vintage heavy duty Singers and a 1958 Singer 99 which is what I did this piece on. It is a little 3/4 machine I bought at an estate sale and I love it. As it turned out, the biggest issue I have with quilting is I do not have a sewing room or a very large floor area to lay things out--no design walls just a kitchen table and a full size bed.