View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 06:25 PM
CaleyH

Default Finally! FMQ Without the Lashing

I've finally watched enough videos, and had some little bit of practise when it comes to free motion quilting.

One of my biggest problems when I had tried previously was not so much the machine, as ME!

What I was doing wrong was moving too fast. It wasn't that much of a problem when I sent straight, but it was a disaster with any kind of curve, or change of direction. I had been constantly getting lashing, and, at the time, never realised that not only speed control of the machine, but also of how you move the fabric is key.

You've got to coordinate both the machine speed with the fabric movement speed. So I guess that's a bug DUH on my part.

In another thread, I had purchased a Babylock Jazz 2 machine, and eventually sent it in to the repair shop for adjustment. The machine actually was set up badly at the factory. And I had stated I was donating the machine to a local entity. Well, because of the COVID thing, I never could reach that entity, and consequently still have the machine. I've decided, based on a comment from another, that I should keep it for when I need to do heavy duty sewing. The Jazz 2 is a very powerful machine. So I am keeping it for the time being.

I just did some FMQ on it, and with proper machine and fabric speed control, I was able to do a fair job. I still have to adjust both, so my stitch length isn't so tight. I'd like to find a balance to where I get at least a 1/16 inch, or possibly 1/8 inch length.

I had gone and purchased another computerised machine, a Janome, and experienced severe lashing, even with the auto tension in play. Like I said, it was ME, not the machine.

One reason I am writing this little ditty is for those who want to try FMQ. I don't want them to be as frustrated as i was in the past. Hopefully anyone wanting to start, will bump into this thread, and understand what the big problem is to the activity.

Many suggestions here, and in the videos I've watched have emphasized that before you go working on one of those beautiful quilt sandwiches you've just put together, DO NOT practise on it, unless you don't care how the results are. Practise on small quilt sandwiches first, say 15 or so inches square, and work your way up to larger sized quilt sandwiches. Use fabric for the top and bottom that just doesn't quite suit what you want for one of your envisioned masterpieces.

Use high contrast thread, top and bottom, so you can see it easily. You want to see what is happening as you learn.

And don't throw away your experiments in FMQ. Keep them, at least until you' feel ready to take the big step of working on one of your masterpieces. Keeping them will show you how well you've progressed. Maybe even post pictures of how things are going.

Anyone who sees something I have written wrongly, please let me know here, and correct me, so that those other beginners will know I goofed when writing this. Thanks