View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 11:05 AM
CaleyH

Here's another idea I just discovered while watching videos. You don't even need fabric or batting.

If you have a printer,you can print a design you've downloaded from the net. If you don't have a printer
just take a regular piece of bond paper, and draw something on it that you can follow.

Remove the thread from the top and bobbin area, and remove the bobbin. Just discovered that a computerised machine probably won't allow this. If you have a mechanical machine, you should be able to do this exercise.

Place the paper on the sewing machine surface. Just move the paper like you would a piece of fabric,
while depressing the foot pedal.

This helps build muscle memory for the shapes you wish to quilt. It also helps you learn to control the movement of your hands, and at the same time, the amount of pressure you put on the foot pedal.

I've just printed out a couple of sheets so I can practise this exercise. Hopefully I can get consistent with following the pattern, and also keep the movement at the proper speed to get my stitch length even.

Last edited by CaleyH; 10-24-2021 at 11:12 AM.