View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 06:19 AM
OurWorkbench

Default November Colorado Get Together - Part 1

It's been a beautiful and long lasting autumn in Colorado. Leaves turned color late and are now beginning to fall from the trees. Overnight temperatures are only now falling below freezing with the feeling that winter is finally on its way.

We have contributions from several of our members and lots of pictures. So let's get started.

Dorothy

We begin with Dorothy, who tells us about a knitting machine that she has had for many years and worked with this past month:

Hello!
Singer and its many variations today, I guess. Most know they did all sorts of manufacturing- guns for WW2, vacuums, various tools and knitting machines.

I hauled out my knitting machine from its 20 year storage to find it is a Studio Model 700 which, as near as I can figure, is the Singer/ Silver Reed marketing brand name for Canada. There is a Copyright date in a manual of 1987.

At one time Brother, Toyota, Knit King and Singer (under various names) were manufactured in Japan while Passap and 1? other brand were manufactured in Europe.

Now only Silver Reed/ Singer Co. are manufacturing with some Chinese attempts to make machines.

Knitting machines look imposing with 200 needles and the carriage that moves the yarn across the needles forming stitches.

I can't knit with it until the sponge bar (or needle bar) is updated. Mine has degraded foam and is flat instead of having a 3/8" loft. The foam bar pressing on top of the needles holds them in place preventing dropped stitches.

Replacement foam shows up next week, so I am going to be cleaning/ lubricating needles, knit head and the needle board removing dust, lint, fibers, etc. This is done with a mix of 10% gun oil & 90% Isopropyl Alcohol (91% concentration).

In the photos are a pile of 50 removed needles ready to wash in solution. All 200 needles will be cleaned and rotated.

The underside of the carriage, foam bar and storage in the lid for tension stand and part 2 of the carriage are in the other photos. Depending on needle position, and which levers are engaged, plain knitting, intarsia, fair isle color can be accomplished. Add the ribbing bed and knit purl patterns can be done in the pass of the carriage!

Have a Great month!
Dorothy

dorothy-img_20211030_120329.jpg

dorothy-img_20211030_115259.jpg

dorothy-img_20211030_114803.jpg

dorothy-img_20211030_114452.jpg

dorothy-img_20211030_114830.jpg

... to be continued