View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 05:51 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by sunflower126 View Post
... She wants a primitive look but not a rag quilt. I will be starting with 5" blocks sewed in a group of 3 and then cut down to !/2 size and resewn into blocks. Make sense??

I'm looking for hints on how to cut and sew. I did see to starch fabric helps. I do that with a lot of cottons so no problem there. Suggested a larger seam allowance but not sure how that will work out putting the quilt together. If done overall will the pattern work out just smaller. ....
I'm not understanding about sewing three blocks and cutting in half. Are you cutting in half lengthwise and then sewing to a different set with the same dimensions?

I'm not a quilter, but I think that if you were to add to the seam allowance before you cut the fabric, you could then take a larger seam and come out with the same size pattern. For example, if you are trying to have 5" finished solid blocks than with 1/4" seam allowances, you would start with a cut size of 5 1/2" pieces. However, if you want to 5" finished solid blocks with 1/2" seam allowances, you would start with a cut size of the fabric 6" pieces. I'd have to do some more figuring if it had multiple pieces that would make a 5" finished block. From my understanding, back in the really old days, one would trace the "finished" template so that would be where the it was stitched and then cut whatever seam allowance past the drawn line.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.