View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 07:19 AM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Good for you. Yes, it is fiddly to get it back together properly. I think it took me a couple (or more) tries to hold everything in the right position and the spring made it difficult to line everything up.

Good idea to keep oiling and keep trying. I don't remember the dead spots, but I think I always used the hand wheel to start so that I knew it was going in the right direction and not make bobbin nests of thread.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Well, I was too quick on the bobbin winder. Now turning the wheel by hand is NOT turning the bobbin to wind. I think I need to pull it back apart and spend more time cleaning. I did not undo the screw on the bigger circular disk on the left edge, I think this is the gear that turns and moves the arm that the thread sits in right before it goes on the bobbin. I think more cleaning is in order, and hopefully it will be fine.

Do you know if when turning the hand wheel, the pedal should also move? I keep reading about turning the hand wheel and then feeling with the feet where one is at in the process. Turning my hand wheel slowly does not translate into anything on the pedal. If the pedal is in the right place (not in a dead spot), I can sometimes turn the hand wheel to get started with the pedal (I think I have to get my feet going at the same time I am turning the hand wheel - a definite pattern to the dance!) If the pedal is in a dead spot, the only way I can get the pedal going is to give a tug to the big fly wheel that the belt is around. Trying to pull, spin, or turn the hand wheel at that point does nothing other than move the needle up and down and feed the fabric, the belt does not turn. Is this normal? Once I get going, the belt moves fine. And if I am in just the right place with the pedal, I can turn the hand wheel and start moving my feet at the same time and it works. I can actually get started again with the pedal if it is in the right spot.

I'm kind of thinking this is user error on this point, since sometimes it works well, while I struggle at other times. But I never read about anyone having to reach down to the fly wheel to get off a dead spot. Which makes me wonder what I am missing.

Also, absolutely no luck with loosening the knob on the hand wheel so as to wind the bobbin, and then being able to use the pedal. Doesn't matter if I try to turn the hand wheel, try to start by moving the fly wheel to see where I am at - nothing at that point will engage the belt.