View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 06:18 AM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
My easy to get-to treadle has a larger belt, but does work. I know the instructions for installing treadle belts say not too tight and not loose enough to slip. The instructions at https://www.treadleon.net/sewingmach...eadlebelt.html tell about stretching the belt before installing at the bottom of the page. There are other pdf instructions which can be gotten at https://web.archive.org/web/20171030...ter-P60013.htm You will have to left click on the link It will not work if you right click to " Save link as " The instructions to stretch the belt are #3 of those instructions.

It really should be fairly easy to unscrew the little screw in the knob, as well as the knob should be easy to screw opposite the hand wheel. I wonder if the screw is or was cross threaded.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
I did shorten the belt slightly (about 1/4"). I didn't stretch. I will read from your links. Perhaps my stretching already happened with the initial install. It did seem like it felt better, the operation of the pedal. But that was at the end of my night, so I didn't have extended time testing this out.

I figured out my issue with the screw. I need to loosen the knob, I think it is, as though to wind a bobbin. Then it unscrews easily.

I did take the bobbin assembly off and disassembled the gear disk that rotates against the worm on the bobbin winder to turn the bobbin. I had a dilly of a time getting it adjusted and the nut tightened on. I would get it adjusted to where it needed to be on the front, then try to hold the screw in place while tightening the nut on the back (on the eccentric screw). Somehow I would end up over tightening, or somehow just nudging that screw slightly, and it would be too tight or too lose (the disk against the worm). I think I finally got it adjusted right. I can again at least wind a bobbin by manually turning the hand wheel. It still wasn't working by treadle, but the belt seemed to be turning for the most part. I was tired, so walked away - but I believe I just need to adjust the screw that is just forward of where you attach the winding assembly to the machine - I think the bobbin tire is to tight against the machine when engaged. Hopefully that is what it is. I feel like I am so close!!