View Single Post
Old 11-11-2021, 02:26 PM
peaceandjoy

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Ok, so I spent 2 weeks trying to straighten up my sewing room. I have continued to buy more fabric until I am having trouble getting in. So, I pulled out a project that is about 5 years old. I don’t like the colors and I’m wondering if that’s why I quit. I need more fabric. But before I go out, I’m going shopping in my own sewing room. I may mess up what I’ve just straightened up.
I hear you! Do NOT make me shop for clothing, shoes or purses, nor things for the house. But give me an opportunity for some retail therapy with fabric, and I'm right there! But then it can get overwhelming.

If you don't like the colors and haven't worked on it for a few years, is it worth investing more time/money/space (literal or in your head!) in?

I have had a couple of instances where I had projects I really didn't like. One was for our older daughter and fabrics were specifically requested. The other was a mystery quilt with colors I should have changed out, but went with suggested fabrics. I find it nearly impossible to work on. It is a UFO. Blocks done, pieced sashings made - will it ever come together?

I'm at the point where I can let things go. Usually, I can find someone in my guild who would like it, or swap to someone at a retreat, or offer to online groups for cost of postage. I have enough things I WANT to do without worrying about forcing myself to finish something that I really do not like.

Hopefully, if you've decided to continue on with the project, you can find a way to work in some colors that you DO like from your stash. Or maybe make it a smaller piece, call it done and move on.

Robin