View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 09:38 AM
tropit

Default Thanksgiving Gravy Tips

Everyone always seems to fret about the gravy. It's not hard if you follow a few simple rules. I like my gravy a deep, rich brown. One of the extra steps that I take a few days before the holiday, is to chop some veggies, onions, garlic, any chicken that we may have had this week and put it all in a pot with some water and make a stock. (Ie: clean out the fridge.) After it's done, I take out the solid pieces and put them on a flat baking tray. I add a few more veggies. mushroom stems, etc. to the tray and then bake it all at a fairly high heat until everything is a dark, umber brown. I take it out of the oven, scrape it all off the bottom of the tray, de-glaze the pan and put everything back into the stock that I made. The stock then turns a deep, rich brown and the smell is amazing. Strain it, put it in the freezer, or fridge. On Thanksgiving day, when I'm ready to make the gravy, I use the strained stock to add it to my gravy makings, along with the turkey bits and drippings. I also add some stock from my turkey necks and gizzards. So, so good!

Please share your tips and suggestions.