Old 11-17-2021, 10:26 AM
DawnFurlong

Default Singer 66 - needle goes up/down -winding a bobbin

I have my Singer 66 in a treadle cleaned up. I finally got the bobbin winder adjusted correctly so that it works. I had to make slight adjustments to the treadle belt, the wheel/pedal now move very easily, sewing is very smooth. I took the knob with the set screw off of the hand wheel, and cleaned the hand wheel and shaft. Prior to that last step, when I loosened that knob to wind a bobbin, the needle usually quit going up and down. Sometimes it went up and down a few times, but either stopped on it's own (or putting down the presser foot stopped it).

Since really cleaning the hand wheel, the needle now moves up and down when winding a bobbin. The set screw is in correctly. In particular I really scrubbed the back of the hand wheel when I took it off, it had a build up of old oil/dirt. I used a brush and alcohol.

Is there anything else I should try to keep the needle from going up and down? I make sure to keep the presser foot up so there is no damage there.

I just received a replacement presser foot bar (so I can use side clamping feet). That will be my next job! I also need to find the little thread holder that goes above the needle (last wire thread goes through before threading). Mine is missing.