Old 11-18-2021, 08:36 AM
Iceblossom

We each have our own approach and definitions for this "quilting" we do

I do have a couple of "works in progress" but nothing that would be completed between now and then, and all of which would require a lot of mess making and not so much cleaning up. One is my Barn quilt and I really need to sit down and do some paper piecing for practice. Last time I tried to get the hard blocks out of the way first, this time I have a donation quilt planned of paper pieced pandas to do first and then I'll start on the easy blocks for my project and work up to those tiny little hummingbirds... The other is more of a possibility, some vintage cross stitched blocks I got at the thrift store, I cut sashing for it and consider it more of a kit than a UFO. I do have a couple of projects (in addition to the pandas) that are planned, but I don't consider them as being either a UFO or WIP until fabric is cut. Collected is not yet a project -- but Rhododendron Trail is an official project because of the back and binding!

I'm pretty good about one project at a time, some times I will have two so I have a portable project for group/sewing with friends, and then my at home project. I used to be big on the finish the quilt entirely -- including quilting and gifting before starting the next one. Yeah, that was like 30-40 years ago! Then I started thinking of tops as completed projects that just weren't quite quilts yet. I think it is ok to want to spend my quilting time doing what I want to do the most -- and that is planning and piecing, not so much quilting. But I've amassed three tubs of tops and they are becoming a storage problem which is starting to motivate me a bit more in terms of quilting over piecing.

Sadly, I don't really transition well between piecing and quilting. I have to be motivated to be quilting and prefer to leave the settings (and needles and threads and such) as they are until the project is done.