View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 06:04 AM
LAF2019

Default Longarm>Domestic Quilting

I pulled out a UFO that is currently of the less-loved variety, though at one time I did love it. I had started quilting it when I only had my longarm for a few months and at that time, I wanted to quilt it to death for good practice.
I had made a poor choice in deciding to do piano key quilting 1/4" lines in the borders and quickly learned I do not love doing that!
It is soooo close to being done. it is all quilted except for 2 1/2 borders.

I am in a position in my life right now where i do no have access to my longarm nor do i have the space/ability to start new fun projects. So I pulled out this UFO and decided that I could use my domestic machine and walking foot to finish the piano keys.

Here are some problems/questions...

1. Since I am only working in the outer border, I find it cumbersome to rotate the quilt 180 degrees to do the subsequent parallel line.
--I tried to avoid the full quilt rotation and stitch the next line while holding the "reverse" button on the machine. This was awkward and made it hard to guide the quilt and my line was super wonky.
--Rotating the quilt 180 to stitch the next line straight is a lot of work when I'm only going about 8 inches before needing to turn.
--should I cut thread at the end of each line and stitch the piano keys all in the same direction and avoid rotating the quilt altogether?

2. The stitching style looks completely different between the long arm quilting and the domestic quilting. I am using the same top and bobbin thread (I had kept them together with the UFO project). Is this just the nature of the beast or is there a setting or trick to make them look more comparable?

3. My walking foot lines are significantly less than straight.
--I do not have an extension table nor do I have domestic quilting rulers. I do not have the means to get either right now.
--I do have a quilt guide foot attachment thing (I have never used it), but if I put it on, that doesn't guarantee my lines are straight, it just means I am paralleling the wonkiness of the previous line?

4. Should I abandon the uniformity of the piano keys and do something different in the remaining borders that is easier for me and my walking foot?