Old 12-03-2021, 10:16 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I grew up eating what was grown or killed. We had chickens and the swapped eggs for milk. We had freezer full of venison, duck, squirrel. fish, quail, and turkey. The garden was large and we grew everything . We had apple and peach trees, wild plums and berries patches were plentiful. It was a lot of hard work for the adults . The only thing needed from the grocery store were the basics. Most of my friends at school grew up this way too. I remember one teacher in high school told another teacher she could pick out all the rural kids by how healthy and energetic we were compared to the city kids.
I didn't grow up like that. I grew up in a suburb of L.A. But, once I left home at 17 and moved to the country, I learned to raise animals, plant an orchard and grow our own veggies. I love that our food is fresh, our water is clean and that we have control over how our animals are raised. However, I do hate butchering. We're getting ready to kill some young roosters and I think that I've talked my son-in-law to help, so I don't have to do much this time. Fingers crossed.

BTW...the 2022 seed catalogs just came out! That's a happy day at our house.