View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 05:36 PM
Katy17

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
My friend has a vintage quilt that her great grandmother sewed and in one corner of the quilt - it feels like there is a penny sewn inside the quilt. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know I have accidently left pins but never money. I just wonder if it was an accident or if there is a reason to sew a penny into a quilt.
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
My grandmother believed that you put a penny in your shoe on your wedding day for luck. Even had a special little blue pouch for it. She gave that to me when I married. Perhaps it WAS the wedding penny. When my cousin's daughter was married a few years ago, I lent her the penny/pouch as her 'something borrowed'. She and I were our grandmother's favorites. I did make sure I got it back though!
the Victorian era rhyme was "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a sixpence in her shoe."
No self-respecting Irish or Scots bride would marry without that 6-pence… Those coins were then sewn into a piece of household-use bed linens to keep the good luck going, especially to bless the marriage bed. Quilts were a very durable part of the bedding.