Thread: Christmas Goose
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 07:11 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I've cooked goose before, they are semi-easily available frozen but not always carried especially in smaller markets but you can typically request one from the butcher. I've been seeing them out for the holidays, they are significantly higher priced than turkey or duck. I do a pretty basic treatment, throw in some celery, onions and carrots and herbs in large chunks and throw it all in the oven.

The wall oven in my house is not the standard size used today and to replace it basically meant a full kitchen remodel, which I had planned but when I stopped working we had to use the funds to bridge the pay gap, it's been over 10 years since I had a working oven. I do really good with my toaster oven, the charcoal weber grill (I can cook up to a 12 pound or so turkey on that...) and the stove top but I don't think I could handle a goose.

I think the hubby now that he is keto would love the goose fat. It is high on my list of things to do when I have an oven again. I'm hoping by this time next year to be back among the group of "those that have ovens".
Have you looked into a portable oven? I have 2, old, electric, Dutch ovens that we pull out for the holidays. We have to start up the generator so we can leave the lights on at the same time while things are cooking in them. They're power hogs, but they do work great in a pinch. You can find them cheap on Ebay.

Last edited by tropit; 12-09-2021 at 07:14 AM.