View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 06:16 AM
SuzSLO

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
So good.
My quilts lay flat and hang without warping. Bias: usually I follow these rules, but sometimes...... Quilting to a stable back usually will hold it in place. Fiber content: if it's a wall hanging, I might put silk, cotton, poly, metalic together.Even broadcloth, fish net, plastic vegetable bags, paint, acrylic spray, lace. If it needs to be snuggled and washed, it's cotton. That's all the rules I can think of.
What other situations do you think of?
One “rule” is that quilting should be distributed evenly over the quilt. If it is a quilt to be snuggled and washed, I would follow this rule. But I saw a fabulous quilt in a magazine recently that had a very closely quilted and intricate design that mimicked the piecing of the whole quilt, but was only down the center, leaving about 3/4 of the quilt more lightly quilted. And I could see doing that in a wall hanging.

The first quilt I ever tried to machine quilt was a panel. I used a bulky polyester batting because it was to be a gift and everyone loves fluffy quilts. It was a disaster. I wished I had used a different batting that was easier to shove under my tiny DSM.

And then there is the hand appliqué UFO I started using poly/cotton sheet fabric. Time to acknowledge that it’s never going to be finished and let it go. Sometimes the “rules” have developed because someone else has already made the mistake. Better to learn from others rather than proving you can do it just as badly.