Old 01-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Iceblossom

I did absolutely nothing on the project yesterday other than digest the clue and play with the remaining pieces a bit!

Since I am using all the solid white as neutral I'm able to sew in strips and then trim off the hourglass units for this first round of sewing -- should go fast.

Thought I'd take some pictures as I'm cleaning up. My solution to "what do you do with small bits" is that I don't bother with them any more. Fabric that is FQ+ goes into the regular yardage which is sorted by color or theme. As the pieces get used, eventually they are turned into a 6.5" strip which goes in a box with nothing else but 6.5" strips. Every now and then I put it in rough color order, but these will all go in the box at the same time. That is where I go first when I need to pull little bits of specific colors or themes. Theory is I can always cut down but I can never cut up!

Part of the reason I like these Bonnie Hunter projects is that I can use up small bits. That's really the goal of my stash right now, to be used. Quite a few of the dark pinks used in this quilt came from 10" swapping squares from Y2K-ish. A lot of the yellows were the lasts of fat quarters I had used in other project.s

So the first picture shows some of the fabric that was used in this project and what is left is all that is left. There is plenty more of some of the others still as various lengths yardage.

The second picture shows the pretty large pile of things going to my crumb quilter. All the partial strips of various sizes less than 6.5. The ragged ends of bad cuts. Little squares and rectangles. The baggie of triangles. She gets to decide what is fun to use or what to toss/give away. The ragged ends and bad cuts and such can taper but I try to keep things above 1".

Attached Thumbnails 100_6270.jpg   100_6269.jpg