Old 01-08-2022, 11:34 AM
Iceblossom

I tried so many things over the years -- I am a scrap quilter and require a large amount of fabric to practice my chosen art form. It was a big day for me to realize that if all I really was going to use was 2", I didn't really need to keep 6 yards of it. But, ultimately, I don't like keeping track and care of the little bits. I tried the hamper method -- that had a large snarling mass that as not fun to go through and everything always required pressing -- and I'm on the record for disliking ironing! I tried cutting down to various sizes -- but the fabrics I wanted were never the right size and I always had to end up with cutting more. Eventually I settled down as this 6.5" strip being enough for when I needed charms or variety, allows me a large variety of fabric, and ultimately a fairly small and neat way of organizing it.

We were chatting on the boards one day, I said I had found it easy to give away large pieces of yardage, it was harder for me to find homes for the little bits. Someone else said, darn wish I lived closer and I said I was willing to pay for postage... I keep a flat rate box by my cutting area and send it off when its full. It's sort of funny, like archaeological strata, the bits are generally in layers by projects and so sometimes go together pretty well.

I don't really "get" crumb quilting, but I love the form! I know quite of bit of what I send is larger than a crumb, but she can cut down while I can't cut up! I did spend a couple of years maybe 20-30 years ago doing string stuff with what I call the ragged ends. Basically making fabric out of fabric.