View Single Post
Old 01-09-2022, 10:53 PM
Sharonymarie

Originally Posted by Champanier View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I read everything I could find online and saved pictures of the 1030 with all the feet, accessories, etc., in preparation. We drove up to Albany (equipped with fabric and thread) and the owner already had the machine set up for a test run. Since I'd never seen a Bernina, it took me a while to figure out how to try everything, and we ended up staying for about three hours! I tried many, but not all, of the stitches, and made sure the buttonhole function worked.

I didn't catch on immediately, but when I actually read the front, it turned out to be a 1020, not a 1030. It doesn't have the knee lift, but I found a table extension (missing a screw and with a broken off corner section) in the closet. Also missing: the darning ring/arm, cleaning brush, extra needles, and screwdriver. It has feet: 0, 1, 2, 3, 3b, 4, 5, and 9. It has a manual - yay! The cover is canvas.

The owner was gracious in offering a price reduction, so we ended up with a price I think was fair.

I don't think I'd be happy if I bought a sewing machine that didn't need some work! When I was testing it, it was pretty loud with a pronounced squeak. So, I came home and took off the stich plate and opened the bobbin area. It was packed full of lint. When I tried to open the the oil, I discovered that the top had never been punctured! I hope that she was just using a different oil and not that the poor machine has gone for years without any. As soon as I finished cleaning and oiling, everything was quiet and smooth.

I'd been working on a dress for my granddaughter, and just had to do the buttonholes and hem. It's amazing to sew on this. The buttonhole function works well, and the foot for hems keeps everything lined up perfectly. I've never had anything like this! I decided I'm happy about the model and can call her KDKA for the radio station in Pittsburgh, where I grew up, which is at 1020 AM.

So, here's a picture of the new baby.
i lost my manual for 1030. Can you tell me what the numbered feet are for? Each one? Thank you so much.