Old 01-14-2022, 08:50 AM
SuzSLO

Her quilt is beautiful, which is no surprise. Still no sure about my aqua/teal, but I will be able to lay things out and test it later today.

I am making about half the blocks, and need a lot more flying geese (I both underestimated because a border needs closer to 3/4 of the blocks and also made fewer than my initial estimate). But I have exactly the number of Block B and hourglass units I need. Need 1 more Block A.

I think the math for the sashing and skinny border are going to be complicated for any size other than the size of the full quilt. And those paper-pieced units will only fit if you are doing the full quilt. I have run some preliminary estimates and think I will make both the sashing and skinny border a bit wider than suggested, which should make the gees fit for my square quilt without anything other than a minor fudge. I’m happy to share my calculations in a private message, but at this time they are still preliminary.

For those doing a different number of blocks than the full quilt, here is some info from Bonnie’s website with the number of sashings and cornerstones: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010...ing-chart.html

That link does not calculate the number of Block A and Block B when alternating blocks but it does give the total number of blocks. Block A will then be the product of the #of blocks used to determine the setting (that is, a 3 x 3 setting will need 9 Block A), then subtract that number from the total blocks given in the chart to get the number of Block B ( 13 minus 9= 4 Block B). I hope this helps.