Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 AM
salmonsweet

dbarbey I think you do amazing work. I went and looked at the pictures you posted here and I get such a sense of contentment and balance from looking at your quilts.

Since a professional (shop owner - she is sure to know the market) encourages you, and you sound as if you like the idea of sharing your designs with others, I'd say take it into your heart, cherish it, and explore how you want to go about it.

If you feel like turning your designs into patterns for others, do. If you'd rather put your time and fun into making more and more designs instead and leave the precticalities to others, perhaps find a trusted friend who already loves to make designs into patterns, or is keen to learn. You could make it a shared journey together, or go on your own if your prefer, or a combination of both.

Start looking at websites, books, bookshelves and pattern boxes in quilt shops with a new eye: where, how in what shapes might you like to see your work? Allow yourself to dream, and take steps in your own time.

Ask questions - at quilt shows, online... if you were to take a class with a published author for instance, you could find a moment during tea break to ask her whether she has any pointers for you, for starting out. You might even consider contacting a few people whose work you like a lot, through their websites. Most people are just glad to help. If someone isn't, you haven't lost anything by asking.

Just some ideas.

Good luck!! And good fun!!! :-D