View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 04:39 PM
LadyAg

Default Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat

I have seen posts on rulers that move while cutting fabric with a rotary blade, and for cutting mats that move when cutting fabric, but my problem is just a little different. I can’t seem to keep the fabric from moving slightly as I place the ruler onto the fabric. My rulers have lots of the nonslip dots on them, but the slippage occurs as I am trying to set the ruler down on a precise spot. There is no slippage after the ruler is completely on the fabric.

I have tried using the blue painters tape to secure the fabric edges to the cutting mat, but the edges with the tape tend to unravel a bit when the tape is lifted. The fabric movement is not so bad when I’m cutting from a larger piece of fabric, but when I’m trying to cut 2” x 10” strips I have problems positioning the ruler without the fabric moving out of position. Then I have to reposition the fabric and chase it with the ruler again. The ruler is 2 1/2” x 12 1/2”.

There must be an easier way to secure the fabric for accurate cuts on all sides. I have no problems with the mat moving.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!