Thread: Scams
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Maride

I feel so bad. I see my kid going on-line all the time and finding all sort of offers that are scams. He is now 16 and I don't monitor his every move in the computer any more, but have to keep warning him about this all the time. He gets tons of offers for free I-pods that require you to enter your credit card number in at least ten places and he gets mad. My friend's Facabook page was hacked and we got an e-mail saying that our computer was not protected, to click on a link to get protection...of course, another huge scam. I am happy I was the one on line when that happened and was able to stop the virus from coming to my computer. I am trying to trach him to be aware, but is so difficult. How do you protect your kids agains this kind of things?

By the way, I was the one who posted about the Bernina 730 for sale in NYC for $1000. I couldn't buy it even if it was real, but was curious after reading all the answers and contacted the seller. I received back a story about receiving it as a gift, not needed, had to sell it and priced it well to sell quick. I was told the person was in Toronto, to wire Western Union to them. They claimed they could set up the sale with e-bay to get into the buyers protection program. I did some more research and went to ebay to find out their rules and found out it was indeed another scam. E-bay only protects you if the trasaction originates on e-bay as a Buy it now transaction and you pay with Paypal or some other escrows listed on their site. No Western Union or any other form of money wired covered.

Please accept my apologies for posting it. I thought it would be a local trasaction and someone could go pick it up locally. I never meant to put anybody at risk of a scammer.