Old 02-13-2022, 07:59 PM
Peckish

Ok the original question was what horrified me as a quiltmaker. I have 2 stories.

The story of Daphne Grieg, a Canadian quilter who hosted a booth at Market in Minneapolis every year. In 2010, she was delayed at the airport by an overzealous, mean American customs agent who forced her to write "SAMPLE" in felt ink across her sample quilts, the ones she had brought across the border to display in her booth. She eventually was able to get most of the ink out of her quilts.

The other story that horrifies me is a comment posted somewhere on The Quilt Show's website. A woman had made a lovely quilt as a gift for her sister, in southwest desert hues. She requested the longarm quilter quilt it with cactus and coyote motifs in keeping with the Southwestern theme; the longarmer agreed to this plan. When the quilting was completed and the owner picked it up, she was horrified to find that instead of quilting the coyote motifs, the longarmer had DRAWN the motifs in permanent marker on the quilt, because a coyote shape was "too difficult to quilt".